Project

General

Profile

Bug #4543

UK Freesat bouquets not working

Added by steve parry over 1 year ago. Updated 21 days ago.

Status:
New
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
Service Mapping
Target version:
-
Start date:
2017-08-23
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Found in version:
4.2.1
Affected Versions:

Description

please see https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/27975?r=27990

Im using the latest image from https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend/

Ive attached screen shots of my screens for config

network.PNG (22 KB) network.PNG Network screen settings steve parry, 2017-08-23 14:22
bouquets.PNG (140 KB) bouquets.PNG List of bouquets that appear in the old version but not the new steve parry, 2017-08-23 14:23
epggrabber.PNG (32.5 KB) epggrabber.PNG Epg grabber settings steve parry, 2017-08-23 14:24
newbouquets.PNG (27.4 KB) newbouquets.PNG bouquets steve parry, 2017-08-24 10:48
newepggrabbers.PNG (18.1 KB) newepggrabbers.PNG selected epg grabbers steve parry, 2017-08-24 10:48
tvheadend.html (5.03 MB) tvheadend.html My docker log steve parry, 2017-08-24 11:18
freesatinfo.ts (1.67 MB) freesatinfo.ts Mark Clarkstone, 2018-01-30 19:38
fullmux11426500.ts (251 MB) fullmux11426500.ts Mark Clarkstone, 2018-01-30 19:46
selectedpids.ts (12.6 MB) selectedpids.ts Mark Clarkstone, 2018-01-30 21:12
mux.ts (14.7 MB) mux.ts Rob D, 2018-01-30 21:21
tbl-base.txt (11.7 MB) tbl-base.txt Mark Clarkstone, 2018-01-31 10:51
tblandbouquet.txt (15.8 MB) tblandbouquet.txt Mark Clarkstone, 2018-01-31 17:50
cleanbouquets.txt (6.38 MB) cleanbouquets.txt Mark Clarkstone, 2018-01-31 18:00
bouquets.png (214 KB) bouquets.png Mark Clarkstone, 2018-02-01 20:29
Channel5.PNG (226 KB) Channel5.PNG Channel 5 Service Rob D, 2018-02-02 21:17

History

#1 Updated by Mark Clarkstone over 1 year ago

steve parry wrote:

please see https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/27975?r=27990

Im using the latest image from https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend/

Ive attached screen shots of my screens for config

See #4317

#2 Updated by steve parry over 1 year ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

steve parry wrote:

please see https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/27975?r=27990

Im using the latest image from https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend/

Ive attached screen shots of my screens for config

See #4317

I have those grabbers selected. please see attached screenshot.
Ive force run the network scan
Ive then played the relevant services (11425H)
The only bouquets I get for freesat are in 1 of the attached screen shots

Like I previously mentioned, the old version 4.0.9 docker image on a fresh container works fine

#3 Updated by Mark Clarkstone over 1 year ago

steve parry wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

steve parry wrote:

please see https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/27975?r=27990

Im using the latest image from https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend/

Ive attached screen shots of my screens for config

See #4317

I have those grabbers selected. please see attached screenshot.
Ive force run the network scan
Ive then played the relevant services (11425H)
The only bouquets I get for freesat are in 1 of the attached screen shots

Like I previously mentioned, the old version 4.0.9 docker image on a fresh container works fine

Are you getting "Too much queued data" in the log?

#4 Updated by steve parry over 1 year ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

steve parry wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

steve parry wrote:

please see https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/27975?r=27990

Im using the latest image from https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend/

Ive attached screen shots of my screens for config

Not today, a few days ago yes.

See #4317

I have those grabbers selected. please see attached screenshot.
Ive force run the network scan
Ive then played the relevant services (11425H)
The only bouquets I get for freesat are in 1 of the attached screen shots

Like I previously mentioned, the old version 4.0.9 docker image on a fresh container works fine

Are you getting "Too much queued data" in the log?

#5 Updated by steve parry over 1 year ago

see attached log

#6 Updated by steve parry over 1 year ago

just noticed this in the log

2017-08-23 05:20:53.967 [WARNING] epggrab: EIT: DVB Grabber - data completion timeout for 11425H in Freesat
stdout
2017-08-23 05:20:53
2017-08-23 05:20:53.967 [WARNING] epggrab: UK: Freesat - data completion timeout for 11425H in Freesat
stdout
2017-08-23 05:20:53
2017-08-23 05:20:53.967 [WARNING] epggrab: PSIP: ATSC Grabber - data completion timeout for 11425H in Freesat

#7 Updated by steve parry over 1 year ago

I have tried the 4.2.1 stable release.
This is working as for as I get a full set of freesat region bouquets. But when enabling 1 it doesnt do anything.

Ive enabled mapping zero numbered channels in the bouquet

If i enable a sky bouquet the channels appear

#8 Updated by steve parry over 1 year ago

steve parry wrote:

I have tried the 4.2.1 stable release.
This is working as for as I get a full set of freesat region bouquets. But when enabling 1 it doesnt do anything.

Ive enabled mapping zero numbered channels in the bouquet

If i enable a sky bouquet the channels appear

Right it seems to be broke in 4.3.x

4.0 works perfect
4.2.x all works apart from the bouquet force scan doesnt work. I needed to stream 11425H inorder for the freesat bouquet to pickup the channels

So basically I have a working. 4.2.1

#9 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

steve parry wrote:

steve parry wrote:

I have tried the 4.2.1 stable release.
This is working as for as I get a full set of freesat region bouquets. But when enabling 1 it doesnt do anything.

Ive enabled mapping zero numbered channels in the bouquet

If i enable a sky bouquet the channels appear

Right it seems to be broke in 4.3.x

4.0 works perfect
4.2.x all works apart from the bouquet force scan doesnt work. I needed to stream 11425H inorder for the freesat bouquet to pickup the channels

So basically I have a working. 4.2.1

Hi Steve,

Did you ever get any further with this?

The current master branch seems better but I still get some fairly severe issues with the Freesat Bouquets. Scanning 11425H finds only three bouquets (England HD: - England SD: - England G2: -), those bouquets find a few channels like Freesat info but nothing further happens.

I think the correct home frequency is in fact 11426.5H as the 3 bouquets all point back to this frequency and it is stronger.

#10 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Looks like other Bouquets are detected but not displayed nthe GUI, eg:
2018-01-29 22:44:06.730 [ DEBUG]:tbl-base: bat: bouquet 011B (283) [Northern Ireland G2]
2018-01-29 22:44:06.925 [ DEBUG]:tbl-base: bat: bouquet 0111 (273) [Scotland HD]
2018-01-29 22:44:06.977 [ DEBUG]:tbl-base: bat: bouquet 0110 (272) [England HD]
2018-01-29 22:44:06.988 [ DEBUG]:tbl-base: bat: bouquet 0103 (259) [Northern Ireland SD]

272 is the correct ID according to here:
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_FreeSat_ChannelNumber.php

Is something broken or missing in bouquet code which prevents detection of the various regions under the bouquets?

#11 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 12 months ago

Unfortunately, I cannot receive 11426.5H here (weak signal), so I cannot analyze the problem. Could you grab 10 minutes of the raw MPEG-TS data from one low-bitrate service from this mux? Use 'pass' streaming profile (.ts output) and the service play URL (in the service grid) + wget or curl.

#12 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Attached are my samples for comparison.

  1. Freesatinfo service - (the only low service stream) - appears as an audio stream but vlc refuses to play it..
  2. A 1min sample of 11426500 H.

#13 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 12 months ago

It seems that I need more pids than in freesatinfo.ts, so could you use the mux URL, but cut everything after '?' and add this string after '?':

pids=0,16,17,3002

So the URL should end like:

http://IP:PORT/stream/mux/<hexastring>?pids=0,16,17,3002

#14 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Here's the selected pids as requested :)

I used..

wget -O selectedpids.ts http://192.168.1.3:9981/stream/mux/2f5d4d24f6cb24e05ba04fff26db08c0?pids=0,16,17,3002

#15 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Another one attached (Just in case a second sample helps)

#16 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Rob D wrote:

Another one attached (Just in case a second sample helps)

Thanks :) I took a quick look with dvbinspector & from what I can see the tables are the same.

I honestly think they've changed something in the data as my old freesat box won't accept postcodes anymore.

#17 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 12 months ago

'--trace tbl-base' - tune to this mux for 10 minutes...

#18 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

'--trace tbl-base' - tune to this mux for 10 minutes...

Here you go :) I grepped it to only include tbl-base lines.

#19 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 12 months ago

One more: '--trace tbl-base,bouquet' .

#20 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

As requested, also deleted existing bouquets & did the same debug again, hence the cleanbouquet log. It appears to have found all freesat ones AFAICS.

#21 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 12 months ago

So, where's the issue? I also see all bouquets - they should be visible in UI.

#22 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

So, where's the issue? I also see all bouquets - they should be visible in UI.

I see them in the UI fine. However I have had problems in the past.

  • Bouquets won't show up unless you play the home transponder (for at least 30 seconds - 1 min) - was 11428H but now 11426.5H AND have the freesat OTA grabber enabled. hitting a scan timeout maybe?
  • And even then they might not show up - have no clue as to why.
  • In order for them to map you sometimes need to "Map zero numbered channels.
  • Plus if the hardware does pid filtering the bouquet table is usually stripped.

One solution might be to enable the freesat grabber on network creation if the user selects 28E?

#23 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

So, where's the issue? I also see all bouquets - they should be visible in UI.

I see them in the UI fine. However I have had problems in the past.

  • Bouquets won't show up unless you play the home transponder (for at least 30 seconds - 1 min) - was 11428H but now 11426.5H AND have the freesat OTA grabber enabled. hitting a scan timeout maybe?
  • And even then they might not show up - have no clue as to why.
  • In order for them to map you sometimes need to "Map zero numbered channels.
  • Plus if the hardware does pid filtering the bouquet table is usually stripped.

One solution might be to enable the freesat grabber on network creation if the user selects 28E?

I appreciate you both looking at this but I really cant get this to work with the current master branch. I have only the Freesat EPG module enabled. I don't see any errors or timeouts in the log when 11426.5h is scanned. When you say play the home transponder, do you mean stream the whole mux? If so that doesn't seem to work either. I still only get the three Bouquets listed earlier. Is my sat card PID filtering? (Can you tell if it is from the capture?)

V4.2 does work reasonably well for me as described Mark's earlier post but with the other various improvements (Fuzzy Duplicate removal sounds particularly useful) I was hoping we could find what the problem is with master/4.3.

#24 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Rob D wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

So, where's the issue? I also see all bouquets - they should be visible in UI.

I see them in the UI fine. However I have had problems in the past.

  • Bouquets won't show up unless you play the home transponder (for at least 30 seconds - 1 min) - was 11428H but now 11426.5H AND have the freesat OTA grabber enabled. hitting a scan timeout maybe?
  • And even then they might not show up - have no clue as to why.
  • In order for them to map you sometimes need to "Map zero numbered channels.
  • Plus if the hardware does pid filtering the bouquet table is usually stripped.

One solution might be to enable the freesat grabber on network creation if the user selects 28E?

I appreciate you both looking at this but I really cant get this to work with the current master branch. I have only the Freesat EPG module enabled. I don't see any errors or timeouts in the log when 11426.5h is scanned. When you say play the home transponder, do you mean stream the whole mux? If so that doesn't seem to work either. I still only get the three Bouquets listed earlier. Is my sat card PID filtering? (Can you tell if it is from the capture?)

V4.2 does work reasonably well for me as described Mark's earlier post but with the other various improvements (Fuzzy Duplicate removal sounds particularly useful) I was hoping we could find what the problem is with master/4.3.

  • What tuner is it?
  • Make sure you have the EIT AND Freesat Grabber enabled.
  • Make sure you're tuning to 11426.5H / 11425H / 11428H not V like Steve parry is (going from his logs).

With all that set, play the mux for a few minutes. I'm going to setup my spare tuner with a clean config see if I run into the same problem.

#25 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

It is a TBS6985 running the latest open source (Was called Crazycat) driver compiled against Arch (4.13.12-1-ARCH)

Did not have EIT enabled, now both EIT and Freesat grabbers enabled
Was always using H but still no sign of the rest of the Bouquets. EPG doesn't work either, plenty of Channels appear and it discovers lots of other muxes if you only start with 11426.5H.

#26 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Rob D wrote:

It is a TBS6985 running the latest open source (Was called Crazycat) driver compiled against Arch (4.13.12-1-ARCH)

Did not have EIT enabled, now both EIT and Freesat grabbers enabled
Was always using H but still no sign of the rest of the Bouquets. EPG doesn't work either, plenty of Channels appear and it discovers lots of other muxes if you only start with 11426.5H.

Random question, did you set the orbital position for the network?

#27 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Hi Mark,

Orbital is set to 28.2E. Even after an hour last night streaming 11426.5H I got no additional bouquets but this morning I find the regional Freesat bouquets have appeared. They appear within 5min on V5.2. I wonder if it is something to do with the EPG grab but the Trigger OTA EPG Grabber button doesn't seem to do anything which makes testing this theory difficult.

I can also see where a lot of the duplicated channels from the Bouquet are coming from. Where 2 channels appear and only 1 works there is one channel with a service type of 1 and another with the same name and number and a service type of 25. The ones with a service type 25 are what we need, any chance a service type filter option could be added to the bouquets?

#28 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Actually ignore the service type part. I cant see anyway of determining which is the valid channel when you have duplicates other than tuning to it to try of checking if the channel has EPG entries.

#29 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Could this issue actually be something specific to certain cards/inputs? I very much doubt it, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I'm able to receive all bouquets fine after a 1 minute scan of the home transponder.

I'm still in the process of setting up another system to try my spare usb tuner(s) on.

#30 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Could this issue actually be something specific to certain cards/inputs? I very much doubt it, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I'm able to receive all bouquets fine after a 1 minute scan of the home transponder.

I'm still in the process of setting up another system to try my spare usb tuner(s) on.

Are you also missing a few of the channels with duplicates for others? (Wondering if this is just me or not)

#31 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Rob D wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Could this issue actually be something specific to certain cards/inputs? I very much doubt it, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I'm able to receive all bouquets fine after a 1 minute scan of the home transponder.

I'm still in the process of setting up another system to try my spare usb tuner(s) on.

Are you also missing a few of the channels with duplicates for others? (Wondering if this is just me or not)

Using the Central W bouquet, yes I see duplicates, mainly for the Sorny /Chartshow TV Group channels (True Ent + 1, The Vault etc).

However they appear to be from totally different muxes, I'm guessing it's a mirrored mux confusing tvh.

#32 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Rob D wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Could this issue actually be something specific to certain cards/inputs? I very much doubt it, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I'm able to receive all bouquets fine after a 1 minute scan of the home transponder.

I'm still in the process of setting up another system to try my spare usb tuner(s) on.

Are you also missing a few of the channels with duplicates for others? (Wondering if this is just me or not)

Using the Central W bouquet, yes I see duplicates, mainly for the Sorny /Chartshow TV Group channels (True Ent + 1, The Vault etc).

However they appear to be from totally different muxes, I'm guessing it's a mirrored mux confusing tvh.

The problem seems to be quite a bit worse for me on England HD: South/Meridian S, of the first 10 channels:
102 / BBC2 Missing
104 / Channel4 Missing
105 / Channel 5 HD Duplicated
108 / BBC1 HD Missing
109 / BBC Alba Duplicated

#33 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

I should add as well that these duplicate and missing chnnels form the bouquet happen on 4.0, 4.2 and 4.3 for me. The slow bouquet detection problem is unique to 4.3/master.

#34 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Rob D wrote:

.. snip..

I used the same bouquet & it found those channels.

The channel numbers can be ignored, I've mapped them starting from 3000.

#35 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Thanks Mark (And Jaroslav),

I suppose this must be my sat card. Any recommendations for a quad tuner PCI-E model?

#36 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 12 months ago

Rob D wrote:

Thanks Mark (And Jaroslav),

I suppose this must be my sat card. Any recommendations for a quad tuner PCI-E model?

Woah there! Slow down!

  • Missing channels in a bouquet usually means you don't have the service for it to map.
  • the duplicates could be from mirror muxes as previously mentioned.

Delete all muxes and do a full network re-scan, increasing "Skip initial bytes" (for each adapter) won't hurt either.


As for replacements? Get a satip server & use Jaroslavs firmware.

#37 Updated by Rob D 12 months ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Rob D wrote:

Thanks Mark (And Jaroslav),

I suppose this must be my sat card. Any recommendations for a quad tuner PCI-E model?

Woah there! Slow down!

  • Missing channels in a bouquet usually means you don't have the service for it to map.
  • the duplicates could be from mirror muxes as previously mentioned.

Delete all muxes and do a full network re-scan, increasing "Skip initial bytes" (for each adapter) won't hurt either.


As for replacements? Get a satip server & use Jaroslavs firmware.

Tried the above and still not much luck, as an example Channel 5 HD seems to be listed in services but the Bouquet does not map it (Image Attached)

#38 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 12 months ago

Try to tune to the mux with bouquets again. Basically, you should do the full network scan, then tune to the mux with bouquets, because bouquets only includes the services which were found by the scan procedure. So if you tune the mux with bouquets before all services are scanned, those services are not in the bouquets. I need to think more about some automatization for those 'info' muxes.

#39 Updated by saen acro 12 months ago

Latest fixes destroys regular DVB-T

Feb  4 03:11:24 ET1610PT tvheadend[12182]: mpegts: 818MHz in dvb-t - scan no data, failed
Feb  4 03:11:24 ET1610PT tvheadend[12182]: subscription: 0001: "scan" unsubscribing
Feb  4 03:11:25 ET1610PT tvheadend[12182]: mpegts: 626MHz in dvb-t - tuning on DiBcom 3000MC/P : DVB-T #0
Feb  4 03:11:26 ET1610PT tvheadend[12182]: subscription: 0004: "epggrab" subscribing to mux "626MHz", weight: 4, adapter: "DiBcom 3000MC/P : DVB-T #0", network: "dvb-t", service: "Raw PID Subscription" 

Then one core eaten by tvh:mi-table
webui not opening with websoket error

WebSocket connection to 'ws://192.168.1.222:9981/comet/ws' failed: WebSocket opening handshake timed out

#40 Updated by Rob D 11 months ago

saen acro wrote:

Latest fixes destroys regular DVB-T

[...]

Then one core eaten by tvh:mi-table
webui not opening with websoket error
[...]

I still cant get it to work with the master branch. Theo only hint I get is EPG timeouts in the logs. 4.2 or 4.0 work fine; just an observation but there seem to be a lot of EPG related issues with the newer versions.

#41 Updated by Tony Houghton 22 days ago

I'm currently in the middle of a scan with 4.2.7-39~g7e960a8a9~bionic. It did pick up the Freesat bouquets eventually, but after choosing the one I wanted and clicking Force scan, nothing seemed to happen. In the Services tab the Freesat services still all had a channel of 0. But later I checked in the Channel/EPG=>Channels tab and the channels are there with numbers. That's confusing and almost the exact opposite of what happened with Freeview, which seems to behave much more as I'd expect. Also, several of the channels are duplicates, so I still have some "manual" labour to delete them.

The thing is it shouldn't be necessary to tune to the home transponder to get the bouquets. AFAIK (but I haven't checked), there are two special features about that channel: one is that the EIT is sent at a higher rate so you can get a full EPG in about 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes, and it uses different PIDs: 3002 for BAT and SDT, EIT on 3003, and NIT on 3001. Please remember I haven't verified those PIDS, but it should be easy to check with dvbsnoop.

Every other Freesat transponder carries this data too, so there's no need to connect to the special home one. Freesat's SI structure is weird, but not really that difficult to deal with. The following I have checked, and written working scanners for. The NIT is on pid 3840, BAT and SDT on 3841. The table ids are standard, but crucially the NIT and SDT tables are for other networks/transponders, so have table ids 0x41 and 0x46 respectively (the BAT has 0x4A).

This means you only have to tune to any two transponders (they all seem to have the same network(_id) despite the use of the "other" table_id) to get the whole set of channels - the second one will include the SDT information for the first, which it doesn't carry itself. The whole process only takes about a minute. It would be great if tvheadend could be streamlined to do that instead of the current time-consuming method.

Also, the tooltip for the bouquet Force Scan button says "Rescan the mux...". That doesn't really make sense, because a bouquet spans multiple muxes. Could it be someone didn't quite understand the relationship between muxes and bouquets, and that's why it doesn't work?

#42 Updated by steve parry 22 days ago

steve parry wrote:

steve parry wrote:

I have tried the 4.2.1 stable release.
This is working as for as I get a full set of freesat region bouquets. But when enabling 1 it doesnt do anything.

Ive enabled mapping zero numbered channels in the bouquet

If i enable a sky bouquet the channels appear

Right it seems to be broke in 4.3.x

4.0 works perfect
4.2.x all works apart from the bouquet force scan doesnt work. I needed to stream 11425H inorder for the freesat bouquet to pickup the channels

So basically I have a working. 4.2.1

Not been in this post for a while. I tried to update tvh to the latest (docker and ubuntu repo) both still have the same problems for me. My older copy started to act up, stuff like recordings not working (cut off really early or simply didnt record at all) and the damn thing kept crashing with no errors in the end.

eventually I thought sod this, i went out and bought a hdhomerun 4 channel and installed plex. Never been happier. even has a nice commercial remover feature that works.
Tvheadend as nice as it is, i get the feeling its dead as this issue seems to happen to alot of ppl with the same setup as me. It's just too flaky for everyday use and I cant be dealing with the mrs nagging at me any more.

#43 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 22 days ago

steve parry wrote:

steve parry wrote:

steve parry wrote:

I have tried the 4.2.1 stable release.
This is working as for as I get a full set of freesat region bouquets. But when enabling 1 it doesnt do anything.

Ive enabled mapping zero numbered channels in the bouquet

If i enable a sky bouquet the channels appear

Right it seems to be broke in 4.3.x

4.0 works perfect
4.2.x all works apart from the bouquet force scan doesnt work. I needed to stream 11425H inorder for the freesat bouquet to pickup the channels

So basically I have a working. 4.2.1

Not been in this post for a while. I tried to update tvh to the latest (docker and ubuntu repo) both still have the same problems for me. My older copy started to act up, stuff like recordings not working (cut off really early or simply didnt record at all) and the damn thing kept crashing with no errors in the end.

The cutting off of programmes is usually down to the broadcaster running late, sending incorrect eitp/f signals, broadcasters in the UK are terrible with this.

I'm not saying Tvheadend doesn't have any issues, far from it but there are lots of variables to consider, hardware, drivers/software and many other things play a big part. In general, sadly many people are quick to grab pitch forks and scream bloody murder if something doesn't work how they want, instead of trying to help resolve the issues, and without debug logs not much can be done. :(

Running an old version of 4.2 wouldn't have helped.

eventually I thought sod this, i went out and bought a hdhomerun 4 channel and installed plex. Never been happier. even has a nice commercial remover feature that works.

It's great that you've found something that works for you and that you're now happy. :)

Tvheadend as nice as it is, i get the feeling its dead as this issue seems to happen to alot of ppl with the same setup as me. It's just too flaky for everyday use and I cant be dealing with the mrs nagging at me any more.

I suspect this was written out of frustration more than anything. I can assure you Tvheadend isn't dead, far from it. I use 4.2 and git master on a number of setups daily and very rarely have issues with missed recordings, bouquets or crashes. The crashes I do get on master are fixed PDQ too when I post debug logs.


The following is not serious

Bold: Could you help by providing your analytics data/links for this?

Actually this has given me a great idea, Tvheadend should start collecting telemetrics, usage data and auto uploading of debug logs? It works for Windows and Plex! :D Opinions?

#44 Updated by steve parry 21 days ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

steve parry wrote:

steve parry wrote:

steve parry wrote:

I have tried the 4.2.1 stable release.
This is working as for as I get a full set of freesat region bouquets. But when enabling 1 it doesnt do anything.

Ive enabled mapping zero numbered channels in the bouquet

If i enable a sky bouquet the channels appear

Right it seems to be broke in 4.3.x

4.0 works perfect
4.2.x all works apart from the bouquet force scan doesnt work. I needed to stream 11425H inorder for the freesat bouquet to pickup the channels

So basically I have a working. 4.2.1

Not been in this post for a while. I tried to update tvh to the latest (docker and ubuntu repo) both still have the same problems for me. My older copy started to act up, stuff like recordings not working (cut off really early or simply didnt record at all) and the damn thing kept crashing with no errors in the end.

The cutting off of programmes is usually down to the broadcaster running late, sending incorrect eitp/f signals, broadcasters in the UK are terrible with this.

I'm not saying Tvheadend doesn't have any issues, far from it but there are lots of variables to consider, hardware, drivers/software and many other things play a big part. In general, sadly many people are quick to grab pitch forks and scream bloody murder if something doesn't work how they want, instead of trying to help resolve the issues, and without debug logs not much can be done. :(

Running an old version of 4.2 wouldn't have helped.

eventually I thought sod this, i went out and bought a hdhomerun 4 channel and installed plex. Never been happier. even has a nice commercial remover feature that works.

It's great that you've found something that works for you and that you're now happy. :)

Tvheadend as nice as it is, i get the feeling its dead as this issue seems to happen to alot of ppl with the same setup as me. It's just too flaky for everyday use and I cant be dealing with the mrs nagging at me any more.

I suspect this was written out of frustration more than anything. I can assure you Tvheadend isn't dead, far from it. I use 4.2 and git master on a number of setups daily and very rarely have issues with missed recordings, bouquets or crashes. The crashes I do get on master are fixed PDQ too when I post debug logs.


The following is not serious

Bold: Could you help by providing your analytics data/links for this?

Actually this has given me a great idea, Tvheadend should start collecting telemetrics, usage data and auto uploading of debug logs? It works for Windows and Plex! :D Opinions?

My point is, tvheadend is serves a purpose and that purpose is the provide a tv service. If all I and many others do is mess around install installing debug symbols and playing with settings. then is not doing its primary role. I have spent years trying different pvr systems. Mediaportal, nextpvr myth, tvh etc... All i want is a reliable pvr system, something that is client server based. instead of standalone. If I could have bought something commercial years ago that did the job I would have. As I have a family that wants to use it and not wait for my to turn up and fix it after some apt-get update makes tvh flaky.

If your the only 1 using it and have the time/knowledge to fix it, then great. but 99.9% just want a working system. Hence going for Plex. Is a commercial system with alot of support. Hence it works, it auto updates and I dont have to install and drivers, compile any libraries etc....

Just a little history on my adventures with tvh.

I have used the following servers
Raspberry Pi - totally under powered especially having a 100mbit lan and shared bus with the usb
BananaPi - better that raspPi but the custom kernals required was a massive pain in my ass, I was getting all sorts of hardware issues
Dell poweredge server - Great bit of kit
Synology 916+ - nice bit of kit im running currently.

Ive used ubuntu from ubuntu server 12.04 lts upwards.

I use docker a lot at work but this has its own set of issues tvh.
Ive use Vmware esxi and MS Hyper-V

The installs are completely vanilla and the only software theyre running is tvh.

Ive compiled it myself and used the debian packages a well as the repo's.

I use a sat2ip box as this removes the use of drivers on my install.
The sat2ip used the both the stock firmware and perexg/satip-axe

The dmesg system tells me nothing about the tvh daemon crashing. The debug log tells me nothing either.

The fact that the debug system pretty much requires you to be a dev just makes tvh not for the average person. Logging errors and diagnostics this day and age should be much better.

This bug has been open a year and its still the same problem.

Im not a C/C++ programmer (havent done it since college) but I do code in Java/C# on cloud on a daily basis.
Imagine if the software I build on a daily basis had random issues on every release. The customers would go mental.

After all this I'll still play with tvh. But its not used as my primary system anymore simply due to being too unreliable.

#45 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 21 days ago

.. snip ..
My point is, tvheadend is serves a purpose and that purpose is the provide a tv service. If all I and many others do is mess around install installing debug symbols and playing with settings. then is not doing its primary role. I have spent years trying different pvr systems. Mediaportal, nextpvr myth, tvh etc...

  • Yes, debugging could be improved somewhat, perhaps built in by default rather than as a separate package.
  • The only time I mess with any settings is during the initial config, or if I'm working or tweaking something. For me and a few others I know it serves us pretty well doing it's primary job, serving TV.

All i want is a reliable pvr system, something that is client server based. instead of standalone. If I could have bought something commercial years ago that did the job I would have. As I have a family that wants to use it and not wait for my to turn up and fix it after some apt-get update makes tvh flaky.

Nothing is ever bug proof, even com software. Your bit in bold sounds like you had scheduled security updates enabled in Ubuntu, this caused me headaches with kernel upgrades and TBS tuners, and their "out of kernel tree" drivers, when I used Ubuntu, I ditched both for this reason.

If your the only 1 using it and have the time/knowledge to fix it, then great. but 99.9% just want a working system.
Hence going for Plex. Is a commercial system with alot of support. Hence it works, it auto updates and I dont have to install and drivers, compile any libraries etc....

Plex no doubt has many paid developers working on it, they also only support a very small amount of tuners, mostly network and a few usb ones they've thoroughly tested.

Tvheadend on the other hand isn't as picky, sadly this also means unexpected issues such as bad drivers.

Just a little history on my adventures with tvh.

I have used the following servers
Raspberry Pi - totally under powered especially having a 100mbit lan and shared bus with the usb

I have an RPi here running 4.2 with a RaspTV tuner, I can stream a complete mux over my network no issues, but yes I would not try and record using it due to the bus issues.

BananaPi - better that raspPi but the custom kernals required was a massive pain in my ass, I was getting all sorts of hardware issues
Dell poweredge server - Great bit of kit
Synology 916+ - nice bit of kit im running currently.

Ive used ubuntu from ubuntu server 12.04 lts upwards.

I use docker a lot at work but this has its own set of issues tvh.
Ive use Vmware esxi and MS Hyper-V

The installs are completely vanilla and the only software theyre running is tvh.

The problem with these is that you're adding a layer of complexity, last time I tried Tvheadend in esxi it was horrible because of the terrible emulation, on the exact same hardware running directly, no issues.

Ive compiled it myself and used the debian packages a well as the repo's.

I use a sat2ip box as this removes the use of drivers on my install.
The sat2ip used the both the stock firmware and perexg/satip-axe

The dmesg system tells me nothing about the tvh daemon crashing. The debug log tells me nothing either.

You really should see crash lines, if it's a true crash, installing something like corekeeper is helpful too. :)

The fact that the debug system pretty much requires you to be a dev just makes tvh not for the average person. Logging errors and diagnostics this day and age should be much better.

This bug has been open a year and its still the same problem.

Im not a C/C++ programmer (havent done it since college) but I do code in Java/C# on cloud on a daily basis.
Imagine if the software I build on a daily basis had random issues on every release. The customers would go mental.

After all this I'll still play with tvh. But its not used as my primary system anymore simply due to being too unreliable.

I'm due a re-install of my docker-less system soon so I'll see if I still have an issue with bouquets on 4.2 [4.2.7-*]

Also available in: Atom PDF