Feature #3542

Feature #3488: timeshifs as anonymous recording

Automatically record live tv and store it for a limited period of time

Added by Louis Tim Larsen over 2 years ago. Updated 7 months ago.

Status:RejectedStart date:2016-01-30
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:Adam Sutton% Done:

0%

Category:PVR / DVR
Target version:-

Description

Here's only one major feature I'm missing before I'm able to switch from mythtv to kodi+hts.

A killer feature in MythTV is it records live tv and stores it for a selected period of time (24h being the default).

As I find this feature quite useful I'll suggest implementing it in TVHeadend. Doesn't have to be enabled by default though.

History

#1 Updated by Ivan Kalvachev over 2 years ago

Louis Tim Larsen wrote:

A killer feature in MythTV is it records live tv and stores it for a selected period of time (24h being the default).
As I find this feature quite useful I'll suggest implementing it in TVHeadend. Doesn't have to be enabled by default though.

How is it different than Configuration->Recording->Timeshift ?

#2 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Rejected

It's already implemented: 'Digital Video Recorder' / 'Timers' - select all days, range 00:00 to 23:59 ... Select 'DVR profile' with 'DVR file retention period' set to 1 .

#3 Updated by Louis Tim Larsen over 2 years ago

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

It's already implemented: 'Digital Video Recorder' / 'Timers' - select all days, range 00:00 to 23:59 ... Select 'DVR profile' with 'DVR file retention period' set to 1 .

Can't find "Timers" under Digital Video Recroder-entry but does this just record 24 hours of a specified channel?

I'm talking about that if I watch some live tv it would automatically be saved as a recording and stored for a period of time so I could then rewatch it or save it for later.

#4 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela over 2 years ago

  • Parent task set to #3488

It's 'Timers' in 4.1, I think that the name is 'Timerec' for 4.0. Ok, then it's dup as bug #3488 . Naming this feature as 'killer' does not make sense if you have 100+ channels and limited amount of tuners, but I see the demand.

#5 Updated by NW User 7 months ago

Really? No one needs this feature. Coming from MythTV, I believe it is the Higgs Boson of TVheadend.

#6 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 7 months ago

NW User wrote:

Really? No one needs this feature. Coming from MythTV, I believe it is the Higgs Boson of TVheadend.

It's not that no one needs the feature, it's just not been implemented yet. Jaroslav is the only main developer on tvh atm & he works on tvh in his spare time.

#7 Updated by Jaroslav Kysela 7 months ago

Also note that I "inherited" some behaviour from the initial developers. Anyway, the good news is that I am working on the core code to handle the mpeg-ts data in a more universal way, so we will have this feature in the near future (with the real/fixed/reimplemented timeshift).

#8 Updated by Mark Clarkstone 7 months ago

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

Also note that I "inherited" some behaviour from the initial developers. Anyway, the good news is that I am working on the core code to handle the mpeg-ts data in a more universal way, so we will have this feature in the near future (with the real/fixed/reimplemented timeshift).

Awesome, but please DON'T rush just to get it out, I'm sure we can wait until it's fully baked!

#9 Updated by Josu Lazkano 7 months ago

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

Also note that I "inherited" some behaviour from the initial developers. Anyway, the good news is that I am working on the core code to handle the mpeg-ts data in a more universal way, so we will have this feature in the near future (with the real/fixed/reimplemented timeshift).

This is a great news! This will be similar to this issue: http://tvheadend.org/issues/3991

I came from MythTV too, and this feature is fantastic:
- It record all you see in a configurable period of time. I use to configure for one week.
- If you are watching a tv channel, and decided 30 minutes later to record it, it record from when you started watching, not from when you decided to record it.
- when you pause a tv show, then you can forward and reward easily, with tvh it does not works well for me.

Thank Jaroslav for your great work.

Kind regards.

#10 Updated by NW User 7 months ago

My kudos will be insignificant to the praise for this software. Looking forward to this feature. Thanks a bunch!

Also available in: Atom PDF