Project

General

TvHeadend on kernel 2.4.20

Added by Pavol Grohol over 8 years ago

Hi,

is it possible to compile TvHeadend on a kernel 2.4.20?
When I try to do it, I am getting errors about missing header files:
In file included from /opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/main.c:44:
/opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/dvb/dvb.h:22:31: error: linux/dvb/version.h: No such file or directory
/opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/dvb/dvb.h:23:32: error: linux/dvb/frontend.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/main.c:44:
/opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/dvb/dvb.h:72: error: field 'dmc_fe_params' has incomplete type
In file included from /opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/main.c:57:
/opt/tmp/tvheadend/src/v4l.h:23:29: error: linux/videodev2.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [build.linux/src/main.o] Error 1

I have tried to use --disable-linuxdvb --disable-v4l but it did not help. The dvb headers are still required.... :-(

Replies (32)

RE: TvHeadend on kernel 2.4.20 - Added by Igosr Petroff over 8 years ago

@Kjell A. Stormo
Try to delete epgdb file from .hts directory before launching Tvheadend......
Regards.

RE: TvHeadend on kernel 2.4.20 - Added by Pavol Grohol over 8 years ago

Hi All,

I have abandoned the idea to have TvHeadend on 2.4.20.
I have switched to OpenWRT 2.6 and trying to build 2.12.99 version.

Here I have different problem, now with iconv.h.
While cross-compiling I am getting error about missing the header iconv.h
Seems that uClibc has to be built with locales support but whatever I do I cannot get this header on its place...

I saw some changes in TvHeadend regarding iconv. Would it help if I just pick some newer version of TvHeaddend?
Is there a flag I can use to disable all this iconv stuff in TvHeadend?

Maybe also someone experienced with cross-compiling OpenWRT could help with setting up the environment to build uClibc with locales support?
I have tried the option "Compile witj full language support" from menuconfig but this did not change anything :-(

RE: TvHeadend on kernel 2.4.20 - Added by Adam Sutton over 8 years ago

iconv is no longer used by TVH, we have our own internal mapping routines. Though whether this will not revert back one day I cannot say.

If you've updated to a newer platform with more recent kernel/toolchain etc.. then I would recommend trying 3.2 as the latest stable release.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have now TvHeadend installed and started on my router.
I am able to set-up IPTV channels and so on, but when I try to play the channel, I am getting "Graceperiod expired" errors.

I am wondering what are memory requirements to run TvHeadend.
My router has 32 MB of memory and no swap till now. Other processes does not use too much memory and when I run top command (from busybox),
I get cca 104% in VSZ column (hope I remember column name properly).

Could be not enough memory the reason for graceperiod errors?

Thanks

Hi Adam,

finally good news :-)
Today I was able to get a glimpse of the a tv show....
I had to flash iptables so it seems that the firewall is blocking TvHeadend in communicating with servers.
It was "working" just for a small time and then TvHeadend got killed because it used all available memory :-)

So now I will need to setup swap and hope it will help. Let's see. And also to add some rules to iptables to allow TvHeadend trafic....

I am really curious how it will end :-)

Hi guys,

just to summarize my achievements:
- manage to get TvHeadend built / running on openwrt Backfire 10.03 (with just two commented parts of the code). I have started with MediaWrt, but on the end used the work of this guy: https://github.com/fape/tvheadend-openwrt, which actually used MediaWRT as a starting point.
- on Asus WL500 gP v1 router I had to use SWAP and TvHeadend is pushing the CPU of the router to it's limits... But it works.
- what I do not understand that I see running a lot of TvHeadend processes (in top or ps commands), but maybe they are just threads created by TvHeadend somehow displayed by those commands...? Or maybe the reason is that on a router I have defined more network interfaces?

Thanks to everyone for the support.

RE: TvHeadend on kernel 2.4.20 - Added by Adam Sutton over 8 years ago

I think different version of top/ps behave differently. Certainly on my systems it doesn't display threads (by default) but it can be made to do so using switches etc...

Just as an example I have about 10 threads (with dual tuner system, it'll possibly be 1/2 less for single tuner and can vary a bit depending on exact setup and what is happening when).

Adam

(26-32/32)