Project

General

TvHeadEnd on newer versions of Ubuntu (or its flavours)

Added by Boiler Plate about 2 months ago

Hello.

I have an HTPC running Kubuntu 21.04 on which I would like to install TvHeadEnd (TVH) to. How would you recommend me to install TVH to this computer?

I tried the TVH Snap package but I was unable to make it detect my TV tuner. Also, to my understanding TVH runs under root when using the Snap version, which I find a bit dangerous. Seems like TVH isn't supported by newest versions of Ubuntu or it's flavours.

Replies (7)

RE: TvHeadEnd on newer versions of Ubuntu (or its flavours) - Added by Flole Systems about 2 months ago

Why do you think it's not supported? What happens when you try to compile it?

RE: TvHeadEnd on newer versions of Ubuntu (or its flavours) - Added by Boiler Plate about 2 months ago

Well, I tried compiling and building TVH from source a moment ago and got some compilation error. I don't remember what kind of error, exactly, anymore. I'd much rather install it through apt or via some other more automated method.

RE: TvHeadEnd on newer versions of Ubuntu (or its flavours) - Added by Martin Schlatter about 2 months ago

I have running TVH 4.2.8 with ubuntu 20.04, no snap. It runs as a service under the user "hts", not root.

RE: TvHeadEnd on newer versions of Ubuntu (or its flavours) - Added by Boiler Plate about 2 months ago

Martin Schlatter wrote:

I have running TVH 4.2.8 with ubuntu 20.04, no snap. It runs as a service under the user "hts", not root.

How did you install it?

RE: TvHeadEnd on newer versions of Ubuntu (or its flavours) - Added by Martin Schlatter about 2 months ago

Boiler Plate wrote:

Martin Schlatter wrote:

How did you install it?

sudo apt install tvheadend

Martin Schlatter wrote:

Boiler Plate wrote:

Martin Schlatter wrote:

How did you install it?

sudo apt install tvheadend

So, apparently 20.04 has a version in the Apt repository but 21.04 does not. I uninstalled Kubuntu 21.04 and replaced it with Kubuntu 20.04. I managed to install TvHeadEnd now. Case closed.

(1-7/7)