Project

General

How to Chromecast?

Added by Gabs Man about 3 years ago

I have a Chromecast 2. I also have a Media server running OpenMediaVault and TVHeadEnd with a dual tuner. I think it's great, works really well I have been using TVHClient on my phone, Kodi, Plex and the web interface.

I can watch Live TV or Recordings via Kodi no problem, and the Guide looks really good in Kodi too; but alas, there's no way to cast it to my TV from Kodi.

I have also set up channels in Plex for TVHeadEnd. I can view the Live TV adn also Recordings, although the Recordings won't play in the browser with Plex. I have worked out with a Movie library I can play the Recordings though. Unfortunately, although they play in the browser, Chromecast just wont play it properly, not sure if it's transcoding settings or what, it either say s Cannot play video or shows half the picture blurry. Similary using the Plex app on my phone.

With teh TVHClient it uses an external player. But when I go to the external player, it won't allow Chromecst; not sure if that's being limited by the app or TVH?

So has anyone got this working? If so, how do you do it? It's really frustrated as I just want to be able to watch TV recording on my TV, not just on my phone and tablet :(

cheers,
gabs

Replies (3)

RE: How to Chromecast? - Added by Paul M 3 months ago

I too wondered why there wasn't a chromecast feature.

I found this, I don't know whether it's relevant as I'm not a developer.
https://github.com/googlecast/CastVideos-chrome

RE: How to Chromecast? - Added by thermionic valve 24 days ago

With the exception of casting a web page to a chromecast device, when one casts using netflix/youtube/bbc iplayer etc, the stream address to cast from is passed to the chromecast, and the chromecast then connects directly to the stream.

There are two options, one complex, and one easy.

The complex option would be to write a "caster" for tvhe, and a suitable client (in effect duplicating the bbc iplayer client and server infrastructure)

The easy option would be to run Kodi on a device connected to your TV over HDMI.

RE: How to Chromecast? - Added by Joe User 21 days ago

I have not used in at least 3 years, but the paid version of tvhclient for android was able to "cast" live tvheadend streams. I never tried the paid version, but with the free version, I was able to use the an external player (mxplayer, I think??) and cast from it. The key was you had to transcode the stream to a format chromecast will accept. I think I just used one of the built in webtv profiles. Also, it was with the original chromecast device, I am not sure what format newer chromecast devices will accept. Also not this only worked for live streams as recordings are not transcoded...

(1-3/3)