Project

General

Profile

Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Hi guys,
I am trying to install tvheadend. I then found this
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61
$ sudo apt-add-repository "https://dl.bintray.com/tvheadend/deb COMPONENT"
// COMPONENT is one of the above components
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install tvheadend

I entered sudo apt-add-repository "https://dl.bintray.com/tvheadend/deb stable" but then I get E: Unable to locate package tvheadend

Any ideas please?
Cheers
Paul.


Replies (35)

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

OK, Paul, try this:

edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file to remove any existing lines with tvheadend in them and add the following line:

deb http://apt.tvheadend.org/stable vivid main

This adds the "old" repository so you don't have to do the echo "deb ......" line
then do
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys B42317285E12C7CF
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tvheadend

The latest package they have is for Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid) so the install might fail on your 16.04 but it's worth a try.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Graham.
Thank you very much. It installed, now I can get to work with it.

:)

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

WOW.
That is amazing. I have now got it setup on my iPhone over 3G and its amazing. What a fantastic program, I cant thank you enough for your help.
Now my next question is, I use Winterhill, so how many USB DVB-T will I need to get all the Channels?

Thanks a million

Paul.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

YW. If you want to watch every channel at the same time (!?) you will need one dongle per mux - 6 or 7. I don't know how many muxes Winter Hill has - I can only get 6 here. TVH should have found them all for you, and all the channels. For normal use, one dongle is enough. You can watch and/or record multiple channels as long as they are on the same mux, eg watch BBC1 on the iPhone while watching BBC2 on another machine. But if you want to watch ITV while recording BBC you will need 2 dongles. TVH automatically finds one that's free :)

Oh, and not more than two dongles need to be DVB-T2 (HD).

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Graham H wrote:

YW. If you want to watch every channel at the same time (!?) you will need one dongle per mux - 6 or 7. I don't know how many muxes Winter Hill has - I can only get 6 here.

I get 7 here, Winter Hill apparently has 12, 3 are for local TV and another Manchester only!

More info here https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill

TVH should have found them all for you, and all the channels. For normal use, one dongle is enough. You can watch and/or record multiple channels as long as they are on the same mux, eg watch BBC1 on the iPhone while watching BBC2 on another machine. But if you want to watch ITV while recording BBC you will need 2 dongles. TVH automatically finds one that's free :)

Oh, and not more than two dongles need to be DVB-T2 (HD).

Actually he'd need 3 but to be honest he'd be better off buying all DVB-T2 tuners.

If he wanted to receive all muxes at the same time he'd need 10 tuners. PSB1, PSB2, PSB3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, GIM (Manchester Only) and Local TV.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Thanks Guys.
just because it can be done, I know I an going to end up doing it. I have the August USB DVB-T210 HD, but it is set to DVBT and now DVBT2, but it does pick up the channels, so should this also work with HD? or what USB device do you guys recommend I get?
Thanks again guys
Paul.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Paul Grimes wrote:

Thanks Guys.
just because it can be done, I know I an going to end up doing it. I have the August USB DVB-T210 HD, but it is set to DVBT and now DVBT2, but it does pick up the channels, so should this also work with HD? or what USB device do you guys recommend I get?
Thanks again guys
Paul.

I have the August T210v2 which is the one I'm assuming you're referring to (Link in your quoted post). It does do DVB-T2 however because the frequencies are not generally broadcast in the NIT table along with DVB-T muxes you'll need to manually add them. I believe they don't include them as it's thought that including them could cause issues for older non DVB-T2 equipment. Most TVs find them because they scan all frequencies and Tvheadend doesn't do that (by default).

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Thanks Mark
I have just ordered another one, If I do it one at a time, the wife wont spot them ;)
Anyway, should I then set the Delivery System in the Muxes tab to DVBT2 or just leave it as DVBT?

Just an update. I set my network to a pre-defined at Winterhill, now it has the HD channels. Great service from that little antenna that came with it

Thanks

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

I have the August T210v2 which is the one I'm assuming you're referring to (Link in your quoted post). It does do DVB-T2 however because the frequencies are not generally broadcast in the NIT table along with DVB-T muxes you'll need to manually add them. I believe they don't include them as it's thought that including them could cause issues for older non DVB-T2 equipment. Most TVs find them because they scan all frequencies and Tvheadend doesn't do that (by default).

Wow! it's grim up north with all those channels. "Manually add" sounds a bit onerous. My installation has 7 muxes defined for Winter Hill including 2 HDs so it's the local muxes you need to add manually. I don't have a delivery system setting - it just automatically recognises T or T2 (version 4.1-327). If they've made you choose now that seems a step backwards. You are right about the NITs - each mux broadcasts a NIT which should identify the other frequencies available in the area, but it seems to be done on a regional basis, not per transmitter so they are effectively useless. Mine kept trying to tune to a transmitter I couldn't see.

I know some people have millions of dongles but I wonder if there's limit based on processor power or, more likely, USB bus capacity or how many aerial splitters you can have without excess noise. Or even, how many hours of the day you want to watch telly ;)

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Thanks Graham
I have another on the way, just to play with. :)

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Graham H wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

I have the August T210v2 which is the one I'm assuming you're referring to (Link in your quoted post). It does do DVB-T2 however because the frequencies are not generally broadcast in the NIT table along with DVB-T muxes you'll need to manually add them. I believe they don't include them as it's thought that including them could cause issues for older non DVB-T2 equipment. Most TVs find them because they scan all frequencies and Tvheadend doesn't do that (by default).

Wow! it's grim up north with all those channels. "Manually add" sounds a bit onerous. My installation has 7 muxes defined for Winter Hill including 2 HDs so it's the local muxes you need to add manually.

I'm assuming you mean the pre-defined mux list, I don't bother with those as they're mostly out of date (for my area at least).

I don't have a delivery system setting - it just automatically recognises T or T2 (version 4.1-327).
If they've made you choose now that seems a step backwards.

I'm pretty sure when you manually add a mux you should be able to set the delivery system, even 3.9 had the option..

You are right about the NITs - each mux broadcasts a NIT which should identify the other frequencies available in the area, but it seems to be done on a regional basis, not per transmitter so they are effectively useless. Mine kept trying to tune to a transmitter I couldn't see.

I know some people have millions of dongles but I wonder if there's limit based on processor power or, more likely, USB bus capacity or how many aerial splitters you can have without excess noise. Or even, how many hours of the day you want to watch telly ;)

True on both (in bold) counts, I have an 8 port and a 5 port booster/splitter for two aerials, one pointed at Waltham and the other Sutton Coldfield, I only use the one pointed at Sutton because Waltham isn't very reliable at my location (border between west and east midlands).

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

I'm pretty sure when you manually add a mux you should be able to set the delivery system, even 3.9 had the option..

Yes, of course. Each mux is either T or T2, but I got the impression Paul thought you had to choose one or the other for each dongle, which is not the case. I'll shut up now.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Hi Guys.
yes. I was not sure if I had to select T or T2, as no HD channels were showing up.

Then I added the Winterhill file and after a few minutes the HD channels appeared.

Just got to fit a new aerial now.
Thanks
Paul.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Graham H wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

I'm pretty sure when you manually add a mux you should be able to set the delivery system, even 3.9 had the option..

Yes, of course. Each mux is either T or T2, but I got the impression Paul thought you had to choose one or the other for each dongle, which is not the case. I'll shut up now, so please keep posting and helping out :)

Ah I see what you mean now :) and you do in some cases, and there's no need to "shut up" at all, we need people using the forums :)

Paul, if you're running a newer kernel 4.6+ (for the latest fixes to the Panasonic driver) these work okay, they have two demods, a rtl2832u (DVB-T only) and a Panasonic mn88472/3 (DVB-T/DVB-T2 on linux with newer kernels (so no need to use the rtl2832u, you did in the past though), or on windows DVB-T2 only, the horrible driver switches to the rtl2832 for dvb-t muxes).

However, if you don't want to piss around with installing a new kernel, stick with the August (depends on how cheap you want to be) :p

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

Paul Grimes wrote:

Just got to fit a new aerial now.

If you haven't bought it yet, these guys are the best: http://www.aerialsandtv.com

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Paul, if you're running a newer kernel 4.6+ (for the latest fixes to the Panasonic driver) these work okay

Just bear in mind the August guys actually provide service - they even remoted into my machine to try to get the (awful) Windoze software to work.

G

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Graham H wrote:

Mark Clarkstone wrote:

Paul, if you're running a newer kernel 4.6+ (for the latest fixes to the Panasonic driver) these work okay

Just bear in mind the August guys actually provide service - they even remoted into my machine to try to get the (awful) Windoze software to work.

That sounds like really good customer service, I suppose if you needed such a service it's worth the price, I didn't pay full price for my August T210v2, I bought mine second hand (£13.50). This was after I'd purchased one of those astrometa sticks (panasonic above) and found out the driver wasn't quite ready yet (not the case anymore though).

G

One of the reasons why I may never use Windows as a PVR/frontend, most of the software is awful and buggy, the only decent software I've found is SichboPVR, the dev for it is very responsive to users, even added Tvheadend HTSP protocol (when I asked him if it supported it), plus it works with standard BDA drivers.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

I sent August a mail asking them for drivers for Ubuntu, but they told me it only works on Windows. :(

Then you guys came around :)

I got my second one yesterday, so do I just plug it in and make a new network and muxes as I did for the first one?

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Paul Grimes wrote:

I sent August a mail asking them for drivers for Ubuntu, but they told me it only works on Windows. :(

I think it's more that they only support Windows, the August T210v2 is just a rebranded "Mygica T230 DVB-T/T2/C" along with a few others, although some manufacturers do supply their own closed source drivers (for the "Silicon Labs Si2147/2148/2157/2158" chipset which are usually based on the open source drivers anyway)..

Then you guys came around :)

I got my second one yesterday, so do I just plug it in and make a new network and muxes as I did for the first one?

You can reuse the network (assign it to the same network as your other stick)..

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Thanks Mark for the advice
Really appreciate it :)

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Hi guys
OK now in my TV Adapters, I can see two adapters
/dev/dvb/adapter0 [Silicon Labs Si2168]
/dev/dvb/adapter1 [Silicon Labs Si2168]
I click on teh DVB-T #0 on my second one and in the dropdown for the Networks, I select My DVB-T Network, which is what the other stick is using.
Do I need to do anything with the linked input or leave that as Not Linked.
I also need to mess abit with the Aerial. But, it says I have 146 Mapped Channels, so I am guessing this is OK?

Cheers
Paul.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Mark Clarkstone over 6 years ago

Paul Grimes wrote:

Hi guys
OK now in my TV Adapters, I can see two adapters
/dev/dvb/adapter0 [Silicon Labs Si2168]
/dev/dvb/adapter1 [Silicon Labs Si2168]
I click on teh DVB-T #0 on my second one and in the dropdown for the Networks, I select My DVB-T Network, which is what the other stick is using.
Do I need to do anything with the linked input or leave that as Not Linked.

it's mainly for dual devices, to prevent issues with some drivers that fail to tune if both tuners aren't tuned in sync..

I also need to mess abit with the Aerial. But, it says I have 146 Mapped Channels, so I am guessing this is OK?

yes, it's fine.

Cheers
Paul.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Paul Grimes over 6 years ago

Thanks Mark

I will get the Aerial sorted out over the next few weeks.

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by FuN KeY over 6 years ago

Does the August DVB-T210 works on Ubuntu 16.04 out of the box? I need a DVB-T2 tuner but I would prefer not to mess with the kernel

Thank you!

RE: Trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Added by Graham H over 6 years ago

This conversation started on another thread. The answer is 'almost' - you don't need to recompile but do need two drivers.

Look here: https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/10864?r=21206#message-21206

(1-25/35)