Forums » Tutorial and setups »
IPTV server for streaming tv through the internet
Added by Matej Munih over 7 years ago
I live in Italy and I would like to see the slovenian television in Italy. I was thinking about setting up a server in Slovenia (at my parents home who have 20megabit of upload) and stream the tv to my place in Italy (I have only 6 megabit of download here).
As I understtod, the server in Slovenia is called "backend" and my pc/mac/kodi set-top-box in Italy is called "frontend".
This is all for personal use - single user.
My question is:
- Which software and hardware do I need for this purpose? PCU/GPU required power?
- I need to be able to zapping the tv channels from the front end. Is it possibile with tvheadend as backend?
- Do I need a transcoding software? which one? If I'm not wrong, tvheadend has a built in transcoding engine
RE: IPTV server for streaming tv through the internet - Added by Rufius Luck over 7 years ago
to make the answer short:
- You need a pc or for an example a raspberry pi with a dvb card/usb stick running tvheadend. The CPU requirements of the backend are not very high if you do not use transcoding. For example I have a similar setup and i use a 5 year old atom pc.
- Yes you have to make a portforwarding to your tvheadend server at your parents location or you have to setup a vpn tunnel. If you use portforwarding you should forward tcp ports 9981 (only for administration) and 9982 (htsp)
-the zapping is done from your htsp client in italy
-I have a similar setup and I do not use transcoding. But with your internet download speed (6Mbit/s) watching HD channels will not be possible. With SD you should be fine. From my experience HD channels need about 15Mbit/s to be on the save side.
RE: IPTV server for streaming tv through the internet - Added by John Radley about 7 years ago
Thanks for the question and answer, it is exactly my inquiry, but in my case it is a back-end in UK and Kodi front-end in Spain.
(Now that I don't have a line of site option with a 1.4m satellite dish)
RE: IPTV server for streaming tv through the internet - Added by Gary Brown about 7 years ago
I would recommend looking as ssh tunneling if both the front end and backend are linux based then you can automate this process and also use ssh keys (and block password login) to make the system secure.